An ON-DEMAND CLE program:
LINC: Overview of Nonprofit Law
1.5 CLE credit approved.
MBCLE event code: 218169
While lawyers are well aware that practice areas vary widely within the law, nonprofit executives and non-lawyer nonprofit board members are often less attuned to the differences; when lawyers, regardless of their practice area, serve on nonprofit boards, they are expected to have some understanding of the legal issues of most concern to nonprofits.
This session is designed to help lawyers serving on nonprofit boards understand the major areas where nonprofits can get into trouble and when an opinion from a nonprofit lawyer may be necessary. We will spend particular time focused on the law as it relates to nonprofit volunteers. Session participants will learn:
- Key elements of Minnesota Statutes Chapter 317A
- The difference between member and nonmember organizations
- The difference between nonprofit and tax exempt status
- Nonprofit LLCs, Public Benefit Corporations and L3Cs
- The dos and don’ts and legal implications of everyday governance actions
- Where immunity does and does not apply
- Indemnification in the context of nonprofit boards
- Duty of Care, Duty of Loyalty, Duty of Obedience in the context of Minnesota law
- Most common legal issues of nonprofits: Employment Law and Contracts
- How nonprofit law relates to other practice areas
- Volunteer protection statutes and recent case law
- Tracking volunteer time as an asset in financial statements
- Limits on what volunteers can be paid / rewarded
Featuring: Heidi Christianson, Shareholder, Nilan Johnson Lewis
Heidi Christianson is an attorney at the law firm of Nilan Johnson Lewis where she counsels nonprofits with respect to corporate, tax, joint ventures, regulatory matters, restricted funds, and other matters. Heidi has worked with nonprofits in private practice since 2004. Before that she regulated nonprofits in the Charities Division of the Minnesota Attorney General's Office from 1996-2001. Heidi is the immediate past Chair of the Business Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association, and the Co-Chair of the Nonprofit Corporations Committee of the Bar. Heidi is a past Chair of the Board of Directors of the Charities Review Council of Minnesota. Heidi is a 1995 magna cum laude graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School.
DOWNLOAD MATERIALS HERE