A Four-session CLE Program.
Lawyers are often called upon to serve on nonprofit boards, and while they bring strong skills in many areas and the desire to make a difference, they often lack the background and formal training needed to contribute effectively as nonprofit volunteer leaders.
The Hennepin County Bar Association has developed the LINC (Leaders Impacting the Nonprofit Community) program to provide a cohort of lawyers training in nonprofit governance and an overview of legal issues commonly faced by nonprofits. The skills you acquire from LINC training will be applicable to positions of leadership on nonprofit boards and committees, including associations, faith communities, and community based nonprofits. The training will not only provide information that every person serving on a nonprofit board should know to uphold his or her fiduciary duties, but also an opportunity to focus on issues that uniquely impact lawyers serving on nonprofit boards.
The program was originally created by the HCBA in 2005. It is offered every other year and over the last 13 years LINC has been honed into an engaging, thorough four-session program. This year we are excited to introduce a timely and brand-new section covering the do’s and don’ts of working with nonprofit entities on lobbying and political projects.
This experience is meant for any attorneys that are curious to explore the potential of serving on a nonprofit board or for attorneys that already serve and would like to expand their understanding of the nuances that can be involved when serving as an attorney.
8.0 Standard, 1 Ethics, 1 Elimination of Bias MBCLE credit applied for.
Thursday, March 1, 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Overview of Nonprofit Law
- Role of a Board Member and Governance vs. Management
Thursday, March 15, 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Nonprofit Financial Literacy and Competency
- Ethics and Serving on a Nonprofit Board
Thursday, March 29, 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Employment Law for Nonprofits
- Types of Organizations and Their Boards
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Nonprofit Boards
Thursday, April 12, 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Nonprofits and Political Activity in these Political Times
- Overview of Legal Issues With Fundraising
Thanks to the 2018 LINC Program Co-chairs:
- Heidi Christianson, Shareholder and Chair, Corporate Transactional Services at Nilan Johnson Lewis P.A.
- Emily Robertson, Partner, Nonprofits and Exempt Organizations, Rubric Legal LLC.
Cost: $249.00 for HCBA members / $399.00 for non-members
*Speakers and credits may be subject to change.
*Cancellations must be received 7 days prior to the event in order to be eligible for a refund. The cost of materials will be deducted from total amount of the refund. Those registering for an event fewer than 7 days prior to the event will be ineligible for a refund.