Please join us for this month's meeting of the New Lawyers Section. Come and learn about upcoming events, the many ways to get involved with the NLS, and help shape programming. New members and new ideas are always welcome. Lunch will be provided.
May Discussion Topic: New Lawyers 2018-2019 Section Officers Election.
Interested in taking on a leadership role in the New Lawyers Section? During the meeting we will be electing individuals to the positions below to serve during the 2018-2019 bar year. If you're interested in serving in a leadership position for the upcoming bar year, please contact Sarah Roeder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Treasurer/Secretary: requires approximately 2-6 hours per month
- Track NLS finances and work with HCBA staff and NLS officers and directors to keep section on budget.
- Submit NLS member receipts for reimbursement when appropriate.
- Record minutes for all NLS meetings. This task requires attendance at all meetings and includes taking comprehensive notes at the meetings and then typing the minutes into the appropriate format.
- Attendance at NLS and other HCBA events encouraged.
- Leadership Track: This position progresses to Vice Chair, then Chair.
Social Director (2 positions - 2 year track for lead position): requires approximately 5-10 hours per month
- Plan networking events for NLS and co-plan joint events with other sections and organizations.
- Proactively budget for the year’s events with NLS directors and HCBA staff.
- Vet and negotiate with vendors on schedule and pricing for events (assisted by HCBA staff).
- Work with HCBA staff to ensure timely promotion of events.
- Attend events planned by the Social Director.
Community Service Director: requires approximately 2-4 hours per month
- Organize at least one community service event on behalf of NLS.
- For example, in years past the NLS has: organized a book drive to help Books for Africa; participated in Feed My Staving Children; Helped welcome new citizens with judges at naturalization ceremonies; Toys for Tots; Planned for Law Day and the Legal Expo, as well as other duties.
- Attend NLS meetings.
CLE Director (2 positions - 2 year track for lead position): requires approximately 2-4 hours per month
- Select CLE presentation topics of interest to NLS members.
- Secure presenters for CLE events.
- Work with HCBA staff/presenters on logistical aspects of CLE events (publication materials, catering, venues, etc.).
- Update NLS Board on CLE/Professionalism happenings at NLS monthly meetings.
Communications Director: requires approximately 2-4 hours per month
- Spread the word about NLS events.
- Get NLS members more exposure within the HCBA.
- Attend the Hennepin Lawyer Committee meetings and act as a conduit to the Hennepin Lawyer to find opportunities for NLS members to write articles and offer insight into topics they want to see in the organization’s magazine.
Membership Engagement Director: requires approximately 2-4 hours per month
- Work with HCBA staff to drive membership engagement initiatives as identified by NLS.
- Represent and explain the benefits of the NLS at various outside events (e.g. law school “meet the bar” events).
- Social media outreach to drive visibility and attendance.
MSBA/HCBA Liaison: requires approximately 2-4 hours per month
- Attend both the HCBA NLS and the MSBA NLS meetings, and keep each group informed about the other group’s events and/or activities.
- Stay abreast of developments and provide updates or reports on any important developments.
Registration requested, but not required.
No MBCLE credit will be applied for